Sunday, January 29, 2006

Thankful...

Well, being an Aussie, I don't get to celebrate Thanksgiving. I have the worst holiday-envy about this.

Now, I know America celebrated Thanksgiving months ago and I know that it involves people detailing what they're thankful for that year. And I know that it involves turkey. A lot of turkey.

***On a side note, my first day in the States was in New York. My friend and I were starving so we go to a bagel store ("A whole store just for bagels?!") and order a bagel with turkey on it. In Australia, you order turkey and you get 1 slice, maybe 2. So the guy hands over my package containing the bagel and I almost drop it from the sheer weight. It had so much turkey on it. Like 12 slices! I was in turkey heaven... I had to take most of it off. Couldn't wrap my mouth around it. Oh, but it was goooood***

Aaaanyway... in honour of Thanksgiving and my holiday envy, I'd like to incorporate the same sorts of ideas into our favourite holiday (well, the only holiday we don't have to share with anyone else) - Australia Day. Here's a list of the things I am thankful for:

1. My pretty apartment with wireless internet. It's nice and new and clean. It is also great for entertaining, with a courtyard and BBQ.
2. My gorgeous boyfriend who makes me laugh a million times a day.
3. My brains - without which I would be most likely to be married to my high school boyfriend (he was older and oh so cool) with 5 children.
4. My mum and dad for putting up with my shit and not asking me to pay them back the $1000 for a course I started, but will most likely never complete.
5. My sister for being not as smart as me so that my dad introduces me as "the one who went to university" He says it like that - the whole word university. I'm so the favourite daughter.
6. My job. I have a job - so I've got to be thankful for that right? Right.
7. My pantry stocked with food. I've lived the life of a destitute uni student a few years ago and am very very very grateful for 3 square meals I get each day.
8. My Apple iBook. Nothing more to be said.
9. Shows like Grey's Anatomy and House. And One Tree Hill (let's keep that last one to ourselves shall we?)
10. Summer fruits - raspberries, grapes, nectarines, plums, peaches, watermelom. MMM-mmm.

And what is a blog post without a bit of Australian whinging...
1. My whinging, whining neighbours. Especially the one who posted, yes posted me a letter telling me that I'll "pay for my innaporpriate recycling", because our recycle bin was full, so we stuck a few things in theirs. Apparently something had my address on it and apparently my neighbour can read. Dude, it's garbage!
2. This freakin' weather! Is it warm or cool? rainy or dry? windy or still? Make up your mind mother nature. I go on a weeks holiday on Wednesday and I need some sun!
3. My job sucks. I hate it.

So, I know that Australia Day was days ago, but this is something I've been thinking of lately...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]