Monday, December 12, 2005

Shame

I'm angry. I'm so bloody angry. I feel sick to my stomach and am close to tears.

The riots in Cronulla should not have happened. They were un-Australian and for the first time in my entire life I was ashamed of my country. We're often painted as relaxed, easy-going, accepting, good-natured and democratic, but what I have seen was a complete contradiction.

"The Soul of a Nation, The Australian Identity had evolved. This dislike of authority, the belief in egalitarianism, independence, resourcefulness, courage and mateship all are traits of the Australian Identity, all necessary for Australia to emerge from the shadows of a gaol to become a nation. (Source)

Independence? Courage? Mateship? Tonight I saw nothing except a bunch of drunk, cowardly, hateful people who, if they really were Australians like they so vocally advertised, would've celebrated instead of rioted.

Comments:
Insane to read about what is going on over there.
 
Hey,

I for a fact know that most Aussie's aren't like the media is portraying them. I spent a wonderful year travelling down under, and it was and is an amazing country filled with some of the friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

It's the few assholes (there isn't a nicer way to put it), who spoil it for everyone... I hope things start to settle down soon and that the beaches and cities of Australia will continue to welcome guests from abroad.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]