Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling.



Edna Ferber had it right.

My boyfriend told me today that's he's bought my Christmas present. I asked him to give me a hint. He said something like "people shouldn't say stupid things if they don't want stupid presents" with a cheeky grin on his face. That could mean anything. I am tentatively excited.

I'm officially pumped about Christmas. Officially. I have to work right up until the 23rd, so we'll head down to the parent's on Christmas Eve morn, bundled with bikinis, presents and plenty of room in our tummies for snacking.

I love Christmas in Australia, but I must admit I envy those who enjoy a white Christmas. A few years ago I traveled to America simply to have this experience. I had big plans to get a picture of me building a snowman in my bikini to send home, unfortunately there was no snow for many weeks, and when it finally did snow I chickened out. Who knew it would be so cold?

We spend Christmas on the beach, cold meat and salad instead of hot dinners, sand instead of snow and hot hot hot weather instead of cold. My sister and I (25 and 24 respectively) still wake up at the crack of dawn to open our presents. The rule has always been we can open the presents we bought each other, but the "Santa presents" had to wait until Mum and Dad had their morning cups of tea and coffee.

We still leave out cookies and beer for Santa and his elves and a carrot for the reindeer, if not for the little girl down the road it's for our own giggly fun. When I was about 13 and my sister was 14 my mum said to us "Are you going to put out Santa's cookies?" We both looked at one another, Should we tell her? Shrugging, "Ummm, mum? There's something we need to tell you..." That was the night we told mum that there was no Santa Claus. Devastating.

To finish:
Why was Santa's little helper depressed?
He had low elf-esteem

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]